The Sun : Cops weren’t told about coronavirus spit attack on station worker for 7 weeks despite her ‘urging bosses to call police’

The Sun : RSS Feed via IFTTT

POLICE were not told about the coronavirus spit attack on station worker Belly Mujinga until seven weeks later, it has been claimed.

Mrs Mujinga, 47, sadly passed away from covid-19 after a man claiming to have the deadly bug spat on her at Victoria Station in London on March 21.

⚠ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates

PA:Press Association
Train worker Belly Mujinga, 47, died after being spat at by a man claiming to have the virus[/caption]

Cousin Agnes Ntumba, pictured with daughter Ingrid, has described the family's pain at losing her[/caption]

PA:Press Association
Husband Lusamba has said his wife, who had underlying health conditions, asked for a back office role as the pandemic grew[/caption]

The mum-of-one, who worked for Govia Thameslink Rail (GTR), apparently begged her bosses to call the police after being deeply distressed by the incident, her union the Transport Salaried Staffs Association said.

However, British Transport Police (BTP) said a report was only made on May 11 – seven weeks on from the incident and more than a month on from her tragic death on April 5 , the Huffington Post reports.

The force also said the original date given for the spit attack, March 22, was incorrect as the assault had taken place the previous day.

GTR claims it has shared footage of the attack with BTP.

But a spokesman for the force said it was only "exploring possible CCTV opportunities".


A distressed Mrs Mujinga is said to have pleaded not to be sent back outside on the GTR concourse after the attack, asking to have a role inside the ticket office instead.

She had suffered from underlying health issues previously and was scared for her life.

But bosses allegedly refused and she was sent back outside to work.

GTR said it is investigating the claims that Mrs Mujinga was refused a job inside after the assault.

A spokeswoman added: "We are devastated that our dedicated colleague Belly has passed away and our deepest sympathies are with her family with whom we have been in touch through this very difficult time.

"We take any allegations extremely seriously, and we are investigating these claims."

PA:Press Association
The 47-year-old leaves behind an 11-year-old daughter[/caption]

PA:Press Association
She was working at Victoria Station when she was spat on and coughed at[/caption]


Mrs Mujinga leaves behind her 11-year-old daughter Ingrid, who tragically had a final video call from her mum before she became too unwell to talk at Barnet Hospital.

Mujinga's cousin, Agnes Ntumba, told ITV about the aftermath of her death.

"We're still crying, we're still mourning," she said, standing alongside Ingrid.

"Especially for the little one here. She won't have her mummy anymore.

"She was always with her mummy. It's just awful."

Describing the final video call, her husband Lusamba, 60, said: "That was the last time I saw her. I didn't hear from her again.

We're still crying, we're still mourning. Especially for the little one here. She won't have her mummy anymore.

Agnes Ntumba

"I thought she might be asleep, but the doctor to phoned me to tell me she had died."

He earlier told the Mirror his wife had asked for a back office job as the pandemic grew.

He said: "It's terrible to lose the person you love so quickly.

"We are sure she got the virus from the man who spat on her, and it could have been so easily avoided.

"He just shouted at them, 'What are you doing here?' and then spat over them deliberately. Belly was so upset and so scared."


It comes as dozens of frontline workers have been spat at or coughed on by people claiming to have the virus.

The TSSA has reported Mrs Mujinga's death to the Railways Inspectorate for investigation and is taking legal advice.

"Devastated" general secretary Manuel Cortes said they want compensation offered to all frontline workers' families, adding: "Sadly, Belly's is just one of many family tragedies where children have had their parents taken away from them.

"However, there are serious questions about her death; it wasn't inevitable.

"As a vulnerable person in the 'at risk' category, and her condition known to her employer, there are questions about why she wasn't stood down from frontline duties early on in this pandemic."

Transport for London said all passengers and staff would need to wear masks on the Underground, and advised people avoided busy times.

People have rushed back to work after the government's announcement at the weekend[/caption]

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.

Link :
RSS Feed



Popular posts from this blog

The Sun : Prince Harry and Meghan Markle hire David and Victoria Beckham’s former Hollywood advisor to help run life in LA

The Sun : England ace Kyle Walker hosted sex party with two hookers before urging fans to ‘stay home’ during coronavirus lockdown

The Sun : Kyle Walker hosted sex party with two hookers before telling fans to ‘stay at home’ while in coronavirus lockdown